Appalachian Steps Network
Article I - Name and Sponsorship
The name of the organization shall be the Appalachian Service, Transmission, Exploration, Production Safety Network, commonly known as the Appalachian STEPS Network (ASN), and as set forth in the Appalachian STEPS Network Charter.
Article II – Membership
Membership is open to those engaged in or supporting the Oil and Gas Exploration, Production or Transmission Industry. The Appalachian STEPS Network shall set no limit on the number of individuals that may become members, attend meetings, or participate in activities.
- Active Members: An active member is one who qualifies under the membership clause and supports the Appalachian STEPS Network through active participation and attendance. Active participation and attendance shall be determined by at least attending one half of the regularly scheduled meetings during the last year including the current meeting.
- Advising Member - An advising member is an employee of a governmental and/or regulatory organization that interacts with the Oil and Gas Exploration, Production, and Transmission Industry. Advising members have neither voting nor elective office privileges.
- Membership Status – The Executive Committee shall review membership status
Article III – Organization
- The Officers of the Appalachian STEPS Network will include, as minimum, a President, Vice President, and Secretary who shall be elected for a one-year term on a calendar year basis by a majority vote of members and shall serve without compensation.
- The Appalachian Steps Network shall use a fiscal year to begin in April of each year. Election of officers will be held at the regularly scheduled March meeting immediately preceding the beginning of the new fiscal year. All Active Members only may vote. Active Members not able to attend the meeting may request from the Secretary an ‘absentee ballot’ and submit such ballot to the Secretary prior to the March meeting to be counted.
- The Executive Committee shall consist of nine persons as follows: The President, Vice-President, Immediate Past President, Secretary, and five Active Members. Until the Past-President position is filled, an additional Active Member shall be elected to the Executive Committee.
- Individuals shall not serve in the same position for more than three consecutive terms.
- The President-elect shall attend Executive Committee meetings until assuming office.
Article IV – Meetings
- Meetings are to be conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order Revised in all areas not specifically covered in the by-laws.
- General membership meetings are to be held regularly.
- Meetings may include a round table discussion, guest speaker presentation(s), reports of the Executive Committee, business meetings, and from other committees as appropriate.
Article V – Duties of the Appalachian STEPS Network Officers
The President shall:
- Preside at regular and special Appalachian STEPS Network meetings.
- Call and lead meetings of the Executive Committee.
- Provide leadership for programs and activities during his/her term of office.
- Ensure representation of the Appalachian STEPS Network at meetings of other organizations, as appropriate.
- Establish communication with others who have an interest in Safety, Health and Environment.
- Chair the Election Committee for the next year.
The Vice-President shall:
- Assume and carry out the duties of the President if the President is unable to serve.
- Assume duties as assigned by the President.
- Maintain all past records and files of the Appalachian STEPS Network in an organized manner.
The Secretary shall:
- Record minutes of the Appalachian STEPS Network and Executive Committee meetings and arrange for duplication and distribution to members.
- Maintain Appalachian STEPS Network membership and participation records.
- Prepare and distribute notices of regular and special meetings of the Appalachian STEPS Network and Executive Committee to members.
- Prepare Appalachian STEPS Network correspondence with the exception of correspondence to acquire speakers.
5. Prepare meeting agendas with the assistance of the Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee shall:
- Meet at least 45 days before the beginning of each calendar year to plan the Appalachian STEPS Network program. This will include the establishment of necessary sub-committees, types of programs and places of meetings.
- Review subjects for discussion at regular meetings including suggested guest speakers.
- Meet periodically to ensure that the meetings and other activities of the Appalachian STEPS Network are being conducted as outlined in the planned schedule.
- Appoint sub-committees for specified purposes as warranted throughout the year.
- Appoint Active Members to fill vacancies on the Executive Committee until the next scheduled
The Election Committee shall:
- Be chaired by the President.
- Consist of at least two active members appointed by the President.
- Provide an opportunity for all Active Members to make nominations.
- Report to the Secretary, in writing, accepted nominations.
- Create, and distribute a ballot to active members to allow for a vote.
- Make provision for write-in names on the ballot.
- Count votes and announce election results at the next regular meeting.
Article VI – Amendments to Bylaws
- Proposed amendments to these bylaws shall be submitted to the President in writing and reviewed by the Executive Committee before consideration by the general membership.
- Prior to becoming effective, amendments shall be approved by a majority vote of active members